For Health Alert Updates and Guidelines for Protecting the Health of the NYFA Communities click here. For information on the Coronavirus and health procedures for Los Angeles County, please click here.


The New York Film Academy (NYFA) in Los Angeles does not have residence halls and is not affiliated with any apartment complex recommended. We will provide you with housing suggestions to assist you with your search and are more than happy to answer any questions/concerns. Please keep in mind that we are here to help guide you through this process but you must contact the accommodations directly for rates, availabilities and booking.

We do not roommate match students but provide a platform for students to communicate. If you are interested in finding roommates, please fill out the Roommate Questionnaire under the "Roommate" tab. Once you have done so, please filter through students you may be interested in living with. Remember, it is helpful to start communicating as soon as possible to build a relationship prior to moving to Los Angeles.

Rental rates can vary from city to city and are subject to change daily. The New York Film Academy is not affiliated with any apartment community and can only base estimates off apartment websites or advertisements. Normally, we tell students to prepare at least $1000-$1200/month for a shared accommodation. It is true that you could spend less depending on the apartment you choose and the amount of roommate(s) you have but it is always best to prepare for worst-case. Studios typically start around $1600/month in the Burbank area. One-bedrooms start around $1900/month and two bedroom/two bathroom can start anywhere from $2000 on up. Be careful on the website you use while searching for accommodations, if you have any questions regarding the validity of a certain ad, please let us know.

To find the Average Rental Rates in Los Angeles, please click HERE.

Housing is an out-of-pocket expense. NYFA's tuition does not cover your housing costs. Please be prepared to pay for your housing prior to arriving in Los Angeles. You can speak with the Financial Aid office if you are interested in taking additional loans to pay for housing. However, please keep in mind that you may not receive those funds until after your classes start. Meaning, you will need to be prepared to pay your first and second month's rent (including deposit) out-of-pocket while waiting for the funds to transfer to you.

Although crime can happen anywhere at anytime Burbank is a city known for studios and families. NYFA students frequently walk to classes in the daylight and evening. Ways to keep oneself safe no matter the location is always to pay attention to your surroundings, walk in well-lit areas at night and keep a whistle or phone near you at all times.

Any person(s) over the age of 18 with good credit (over 660) and a Social Security Number who can show bank statements marking three times the amount of rent. Please keep in mind that some apartments need the co-signer to live in the state of California in order to qualify. It is best to ask the leasing office directly since this can differ from one place to another.

Most of the time, if you cannot provide social or credit history, the apartment will ask for a larger deposit, bank statements proving that you have enough funds to afford the apartment (U.S. Bank), co-signer, I-20 and VISA information. Although they could ask for all of these forms, they may just need a few. Please be prepared for this conversation when you speak with a Leasing Agent. If they need a letter from the school to prove that you will be attending our campus, please contact the Registrar's office (directly) and ask for a Pre-Enrollment Letter. This will need to be requested by the applicant only or else you will not receive the letter. Contact: Please remember that having a roommate with credit or a Social may help. If needed, you can also speak to the International Office to provide a letter expressing reasons you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.

California Civil Code Section 1950.5 requires that within three weeks (21 days) after a tenant has vacated the unit, the owner must either: 1) return the security deposit to the tenant, 2) furnish a copy of an itemized statement indicating the amount of any part of the security deposit used (e.g. for unpaid rent, repairs, etc.), or 3) a combination of #1 and #2.

Effective January 1, 2003, rental property owners must perform a walk-through with the residents no earlier than two (2) weeks prior to the termination of the tenancy. The intent of this new law is to give residents an opportunity to remedy identified deficiencies in the unit prior to move out. If your building falls under rent control in areas such as the City of Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, or West Hollywood, a landlord may be required to pay interest on your security deposit. (resource:

Although this is up to the landlord NYFA encourages all person(s) to sign the agreed upon lease which will benefit all parties if something should happen to the apartment. It will also help encourage any roommate to take proper steps in order to move out of the apartment. Leaving the apartment in just one name could potentially damage his/her credit or leave one person paying for all damage/fees if the other roommate skips out during the lease. We highly suggest to always have a written contract.

California laws gives five (5) reasons that a landlord can legally enter a rental unit.

(1) In an emergency. (2) When the tenant has moved out or has abandoned the rental unit. (3) To make necessary or agreed-upon repairs, decorations, alterations, or other improvements. (4) To show the rental unit to prospective tenants, buyers, or lenders, or to provide entry to contractors or workers who are to perform work on the unit. (5) If a court order permits the landlord to enter.

Effective January 1, 2003, California Civil Code 1954 states that except in the first two situations above (emergencies and abandonment), the landlord must give the tenant twenty-four (24) hours written notice before entering the unit.

The notice may be provided by the owner in one (1) of the following ways: -Personally delivered to the tenant twenty-four (24) hours prior to entry; -Left with someone of suitable age at the premises twenty-four (24) hours prior to entry; -Left on, near, or under the usual entry door of the premises twenty-four (24) hours prior to entry; or -Mailed to the resident six (6) days prior to the intended entry.

If the owner or agent’s reason for entry is to exhibit the residential unit to prospective or actual purchasers, the notice may be given orally, in person, or by telephone. If the owner or agent has notified the resident in writing within 120 days of the verbal notice that the property is for sale and that the owner may contact the resident orally for the purpose of showing the unit, a twenty-four (24) hour verbal notice is presumed reasonable. At the time of entry, the owner or agent shall leave written evidence of the entry inside the unit. (resource:

If you have a problem or concern within your apartment, please contact your leasing office as soon as possible. If you have concerns about your landlord and would like advice or mediation, please visit the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. They offer a free mediation service to help you resolve issues. If you rather stop by the Housing Department located on the first floor of the Riverside building to discuss options, we would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

If you are having issues with your roommate, NYFA Housing can help. Roommate issues can happen to anyone and the most important thing you can do is to try to set emotions aside. Stand back and talk about the issues rationally with one another. If you cannot fix your issue you can schedule a time to speak with our Housing Department to try and reach a resolution. If need be, we can speak with the Dean of Students. Remember, the Code of Conduct (found on the front page of our housing website) still applies to domestic situations. If this is an emergency or you feel threatened please do not hesitate to call 911 or contact the non-emergency police hotline at (818) 238-3000.

For a list of your Tenant Rights, please visit:

Landlords are required to provide a 60-day advance notice to a resident if the landlord elects to terminate a tenancy. If the tenant has resided in the unit less than 1 year, the landlord is only required to give a 30-day notice. (Civil Code Section 1946.1)

In rent control areas, a landlord may be limited to certain reasons for requesting a tenant to vacate the premises. For example in the City of Los Angeles, there are 12 legal reasons to request that a tenant vacate a unit outlined in the Rent Stabilization Ordinance. Two of them are failures to pay rent and using a rental unit for any illegal purpose. (resource:

Yes. There is a free service through the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing found at:

Call 911. If you feel threatened or there is actual violence within the home, please call 911 immediately. Second, contact our emergency security hotline at 818-415-3837 so we are aware of the situation and be of assistance if need be. We will also need to notify the Dean of Students and put you in contact with our onsite Counselors.

You can find a list of the Fair Housing laws here:

Unlawful housing discrimination can take a variety of forms. Under the federal Fair Housing Act and California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, it is unlawful for a landlord, managing agent, real estate broker, or salesperson to discriminate against any person because of the person’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or physical or mental disability. If you are being denied housing because of your personal characteristics you may be the victim of housing discrimination! (resource: